Followers

Friday, January 6, 2012

blue jeans in progress

 This is my first time working with stretch denim.  So far I don't like it.  However I finally got the hang of making the zipper flap.  This is not perfect, but looking at the video I finally got how it's put together.  On Youtube of course.  I have been working on these pants since November.  Really have not been into doing them.  Decided to use decorative stitching for the pocket, instead the serpentine stitch that is used.  Most of the past month has been spent looking at some videos, just ordered some tutorials from Threads after watching the sample demo.   I decided to wait on signing up with the two sites previously mentioned, because I know that I would have to dedicate at least an hour or more each morning. I just wanted to make sure that I got this seam right on the sides.  I had to hand sew it down, because the fabric was not that yielding, and then go over it with the machine to put the stitch in place.

I am looking at or ordering the tutorial dvds from Threads.  Then I will either get Islander or Peggy Sagers, can't go wrong with either of them.  I can either watch the entire thing or go along with the dvd.  Either way I can stop anytime.  I know that I can do the same thing on the classes, but for the time being I am going this route.  It's cheaper.  Maybe in the some I will go the other route.   I just finished the inseam of the jeans.  The next pair will be made with regular denim.  Maybe I just have to get the hang of working with this fabric.  I used a Denim needle, since the fabric is stretch I should have used a ball point needle.  I didn't want to take a chance on possibly breaking the needle going across the inseam, however in certain parts of the paints you can plainly see the stitch change slightly.  I know to use a ball point needle on regular stretch fabric, but didn't know that I would have to use it on Denim.   So you live and learn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment