Followers

Thursday, June 23, 2011

books today












These are the latest of my sewing arsenal. Make your own patterns by Rene Bergh seems to be the best so far, because it has good pictures, so therefore I will be able to reference it easily. I've just scanned through the book but I like what I see and I am going to play around with it as soon as I finish the shirt that I am going to make. I really have to get over the fear of these patterns. But the lines on the patterns drive me crazy and that's why I've been looking for other options. The lines are so close together until I am not able to tell if it means 18,20 because they seem to run together.

The couture sewing is by Claire Shaffer and practically anything she puts together is informative even if there aren't a lot of pictures I can follow the way she writes. I've also skimmed over this book and think it is primarily talking about the origin of Couture and then there are a few examples of various other designers that she refers to as well. Also there are the basics from pockets, to sleeves, skirts ect. This book is updated and I caught the review on Amazon and thought that I would give it a try. I am quite sure that while my sewing gets better this book will be of greater value. I am really forcing myself to do this pattern. There is the lazy way...........I had a 90.00 blouse that I brought from Nordstrom some time back and I wore that white blouse until I wore the white out, but I didn't want to throw it away. I like the style because it was the first time that I brought a blouse that fit my body and I didn't look boxy. So I took the blouse apart and use it as a pattern. I also want to learn how to put on a fancy collar.

Most of the time I get ideas from these books even though I might not be able to follow the written word from them. It makes sense when I am reading it, but if there is no pictures it's hard for me to put things in place sometimes. There is another book with DVD with Claire Shaffer and I will get that next because it goes along with the book. I read the reviews on it and they have been pretty positive. So I will keep looking over these books and reading until something clicks. Once I see the picture in my head I'm good to go. When I was going to beauty school many moons ago, I would tell the teacher to show me..........don't tell me about degrees and angles. The pictures or watching it puts things right into place. That's how I became a really good hair cutter, now if I can just apply this to sewing I am going to be fine. Already though I have people fooled. They really think I know what I'm doing and I just laugh inside. I think You just have to have the eye for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment